Tuesday, January 18, 2011

kitchen dreams

Been dreaming about revamping our kitchen. Ideally those dreams would include some paint on the cabinets. However, I’m exploring my realistic options for concealing the overwhelming area of wood cabinets in the kitchen – I can't stand how they overpower the space.

I’ve come up with 2 realistic possibilities for the cabinets. One – replace some of the cabinet doors with curtains. And two – take off some of the cabinet doors and leave the cabinets as open shelving.

Here's what I toyed with over the weekend:

BEFORE:
 
AFTER:

I removed the cabinet doors on either side of the window above the sink and left the cabinets as open shelving. I also removed the doors below the sink replacing the doors with a fabric skirt. 

BEFORE:

AFTER:
  I replaced the blue curtain with a white curtain
with small pink floral detail.

 AFTER:
 
AFTER:
A view of the open cabinet on the other side of the sink. 
 
BEFORE:

AFTER:
 I eliminated some of the oak and a lot of the blues and incorporated subtle floral prints and touches of pink. It feels much softer and a lot closer to my dream for an all-white kitchen.

6 comments:

  1. Looks great! I saw on a blog a while back and can't remember for the life of me which one it was, but she was renting and couldn't paint her cabinets either. She used white contact paper to line the outsides and it looked amazing! I'll e-mail you the picture. You would just have to do a test spot and make sure that it will peel off easily when it comes time to move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found the blog! http://www.rareandbeautifultreasures.com/2010/09/little-kitchen-that-could.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I could live in that kitchen :)
    Suzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen is beautiful! Your whole house is actually! I understand the frustration of not being able to paint...but you've made it so beautiful you don't even notice the wood. Don't worry! Thanks so much for sharing! I absolutely love your blog!
    Blessings,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete